11 December 2011

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

I find myself, once again, in the unfortunate yet all-too-familiar position of having a job I love in a location I'm rather less than thrilled about. And now I have to decide whether or not to stay here for another year.

I feel like this should be an easy decision. I don't want to live here any longer than I have to, so obviously I'm not renewing my contract. But then I have this nagging guilt about abandoning my students, so I should renew. But the thought of living here for another year is incredibly depressing - I already don't know how I'm going to get through the next seven months. But my classes are really fun, and I feel like I'm gaining some great professional experience. (So I can clearly not choose the glass in front of you!)

You see my dilemma, right?

I've pretty much decided not to renew. Of course, that leads to another question - where do I go next? I'm considering some universities in Ankara, or possibly Istanbul. I'm also thinking about going back to Poland. And, of course, there are all the countries I haven't lived in yet. Coming back to the US is also a distant possibility, if I found the right position. And next fall seems so far away, it's hard for me to even think clearly about it yet, although I know it's going to sneak up on me in about 3 seconds.

I just don't want to be thinking about such a major decision right now. I'd really like to enjoy my time here as much as I can, without stressing out over my next step. Could someone just offer me a great job in a fantastic location so I can be done with this?

No comments: