05 January 2012

Ordinary Miracles

As I reached the base of the hill this evening, on my way home from a long day of grading, I saw a group of women standing on the sidewalk. As I started to go around them, a bus pulled up, and one of the women said something to me.

Woman: "Turkish Turkish Turkish Turkish?" (while gesturing up the hill)

Me: (pointing up the hill with a hopeful/questioning look on my face)

Woman: "Turkish Turkish Turkish Turkish." (while gesturing for me to get on the bus)

Me: (using one of my 20 Turkish words) "Thank you!" (while getting on the bus)

The bus drove all the way to the top of the hill, which just happens to be where my apartment building is. I have no idea who those women were, where the bus came from, who owns it, or why I've never seen it before. But I really hope to see it again!

Someday I'll remember to take a camera to work with me, and try to get some shots of my walk home, so you can understand what a big deal this was for me.

1 comment:

thisoneisoriginal said...

Wonderful for you! Hope this becomes routine!
And I understood all the Turkish you wrote!
I know more Turkish than Armenian, and now that I finally got "thank you" down in Turkish, I have to retrain myself to "merci!"