19 September 2011

Contact

Just in case anyone feels an overwhelming desire to spend an exorbitant amount of money on postage, my mailing address is:

Wendy Nelson
Inonu Universitesi
Egitim Fakultesi
Yabanci Diller Egitimi Bolumu
44280
Malatya/TURKEY

Please don't ask me to translate that - I recognize the words for 'education' and 'foreign,' but that's about it - other than the name of my university, of course!

I also have a Turkish cell phone, which you are welcome to call me on, but PLEASE keep the time difference in mind. Last time I was living in Poland, someone (my sister) decided I needed to know the outcome of a Seahawks game at 4:00 AM. I don't even care about the Seahawks at a reasonable hour, so I'm not sure why she thought I would care then!

Anyway, my cell number is +90 543 212 5036.

Today was the first day of school, so I spent it going to the police station to arrange for my residence card. Oh, you thought I'd be teaching? It turns out that the first week of classes is really more of an orientation/registration week. Some students may show up, but you're not really expected to have any lessons planned or do any real teaching. I do actually plan to go to classes tomorrow, but it'll just be to meet the students & chat about expectations for a bit. I'm happy to have some more time to figure out what I'm doing - and let my books arrive! - but I'm not sure what this means for the rest of the term, as far as how demanding I can be with my students.

I'm pretty happy with my schedule - 2 classes on Monday & Tuesday, 1 on Wednesday, 3 on Thursday, & none on Friday. Let's just call that a "planning" day. ;) There might be some weekend trips in my near future.

I'll try to post some pictures of my apartment & the surroundings soon. I keep forgetting to bring my camera when I go out, and when I'm home I'm usually too exhausted from the heat to do much of anything. It's been in at least the upper 80s every day so far & seems like it'll continue that way for at least the rest of this week. There might be a thunder storm on Friday - keep your fingers crossed for me!

No comments: